Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring

After college I spent 7 years in Texas. I lived in Dallas and Austin (with a brief stint in Illinois during that 7 years.) I got to see how the other half lives. I've always known 4 seasons. I've always known that the snow in movies (and cartoons) is NOT like the real snow that comes from the sky. I've always known how to build a snowman.

This is not so for J, my husband. He moved to Ohio at the age of 32 with no prior experience in sledding, snowman building, skiing or any other wintery shananigans.

In fact, his only sledding experience happened on his (very FLAT) driveway in 1989. It snowed (less than an inch...we wouldn't even call that "a snow" here) and his Chicago friend brought over a sled. They decided to pull each other around. Until 2004, he thought this was sledding. J was 18 in 1989, by the way. Sad, I know.

The intention of this entry was NOT to dwell on winter. I'm done with that...at least I hope. This 70 plus degree day makes me smile and live in denial. Summer is here, right? Well, after 7 years in Texas, I've grown to appreciate all 4 seasons, yes, even Winter. When I lived in Austin, life was missing something. 300 sunny days a year just didn't do it for me. I think I know the problem as I sit on my deck on a very sunny late afternoon. If I don't get the snow, ice and blizzard, I don't sufficiently appreciate the other 9 months a year. I don't know if I could be more thankful for a beautiful day than I am today. Truly blessed.

And not just because it is finally nice outside but because I got to spend 2 hours at the park chatting with 2 good friends while my kids played with 2 other sets of twins. The kids had a blast, I had a blast. Who could ask for more?

Thank you God for a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment