Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Coquettish...

I love that word. Hopefully I spelled it right. I knew the meaning of the Spanish word (coquetear) before the English one I think, but I've always known how to be coquettish. It always came easy to me for some reason. You know those Senior Superlatives? Well, I got "Biggest Flirt". I was shocked but not one of my friends was surprised in the least. It took 4 years of high school for me to learn something about myself that friends had always known?
My best friend and I were discussing the proper way to raise a daughter...or a son for that matter. When do you allow them to date, what is the proper age for a car date and so forth. She wished her parents had been more strict...how many people say that? I see what she means though. Kids find themselves in situations that their little brains (and bodies) just aren't ready for. Of course the conversation turned to the Duggars (18 kids and Counting, TLC) and how their kids don't date until engagement, and then it's with a chaperone. I have many more thoughts on that show and that issue but it's for another post.
My point was to write concerning a friend from the SUDAN named Yassir. He studied in the U.S. and has spent much of the past 20 years here. He just became an American citizen 2 months ago but continues to live in the Sudan in order to be a minister of the Gospel to the Sudaneese.
Today is his 40th birthday. Apparently his parents want to (and have WANTED to for SOME time) arrange a marriage for him and he has finally agreed. He prefaced his statement with, "this is very foreign for Westerners but I think it is best for me." He also goes on to say that his family will NOT choose a Christian girl so he asked for prayer concerning his future wife.

Whoosh! That puts the Duggars on the liberal end of things, doesn't it? I was amazed by Yassir's attitude, that he would subject his 40 year old self to the will of his parents like that. Gives me something to think about as I process my children's future and how we will raise them. More on this soon.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I hope it turns out well for him. That is so fascinating! My cousin's parents basically arranged her marriage -- she had the final yes or no decision, but she said she would go with what they chose. She actually seems very happy, from what I can tell.

    ReplyDelete