Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

I shalt not want

Since we are eating, breathing and sleeping VBS around here, it seems to be all I can blog about...when I get a moment to blog that is. The theme this year is "The Lord Is My Shepherd". Via songs and lessons, the kids are learning the 23rd Psalm. I think it's a little complicated so I was trying to talk it through with my kids.

The first line is, "The Lord is my Sheherd, I shall not want". My daughter said, God is my shepherd Mommy and I do want him. I like him actually. I said, "Well, it really means that you won't want other things. You will be satisfied because God will be leading you. She said, "Yea, well...I do want other things Mommy. I really want toys."

I'm pretty sure she's missing the boat on this one and if I'm honest with myself, I am too. How often am I satisfied with all that He has given me? Regarding my daughter, I decided to stop the explanations there. I will trust that this year of VBS is imprinting the famous Psalm onto her consciousness and maybe, just maybe, she will begin to understand what God is trying to say to us through this song...and maybe I will too.


Psalm 23
A psalm of David.
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death, [a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment