Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Yesterday's Menu

Often I judge my success as a mom based on what my kids eat on any given day. For yesterday's grade I'll give myself a D-. Unless it's a pass/fail class (and I'm pretty sure parenthood doesn't fall into that category), a D- is less than desirable.
Yesterday I decided that I'd get myself (and the 3 uncooportive banschees) to the athletic club in time for Cardo Kick Boxing. So after throwing 6 "pancakes" in the mic, we loaded the car. Lo and Behold, I was in the studio ready to begin just as class started. Love that!

In order to accomplish this rarity, the kids had to eat in the car. These "pancakes" are what we refer to in our home as the "fake pancakes". They are the frozen, Kroger brand pancakes. And even though there are a million vitamins listed on the box, I just can't bring myself to read the ingredients used to make these fake pancakes. My first clue that they might not be the best dietary supplement is that they only take 30 seconds to cook in the microwave.
Now, given the choice, the kids choose "fake pancakes" over real ones anyday...what does that say about my cooking...or their tastebuds?

After the athletic club the kids begged for more fake pancakes. Dead to the world after 90 minutes of continuous exercise and an all out screaming-throw-herself-on-the-floor fit by my 5 year old daughter over a balloon that she couldn't steal from the athletic club, I drove the kids home and relented on the lunch issue.
I threw in 6 more fake pancakes and the banschees were happy once again.
In the grand scheme of things, it seems like a silly thing to feel guilty about but when staying home is your JOB, you feel like you should be "ON" all the time. I feel the pressure to be Mrs. Cleaver (Leave it to Beaver) in an apron all day playing short order cook. Not that I EVER live up to this pressure, I just feel it.

Anyway, I tried to make up for a day full of fake pancakes with taco dinner last night. The kids are big taco fans even if I use ground chicken. We don't eat a lot of red meat here anymore, much to my hubby's dismay. I'm trying...maybe I'll just have to stop buying those "fake pancakes". Then the kids would be eating cereal bars on the way to the athletic club because who am I kidding? I'm not going to have a full, hot breakfast on the table every morning.
I had to make up for it today though. I made REAL pancakes with a sweet potato puree...just to get those extra goodies they missed out on yesterday.
But don't think of me too highly...we still have lunch and dinner! Sweet potato pancakes anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Make extra "real" pancakes, throw them in the freezer and then rewarm them in the micro. Yeah I don't do it either, but it's good in theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tanya. That would cure my peanut butter on a spoon days.

    ReplyDelete