Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Homeschooling for Mom

Amazing what you learn along the way. After two years of preschool, I decided to keep the twins home for their PreK year. I borrowed a curriculum from a friend and dove in. Turns out, I'm not so disciplined on the homeschool thing. What I've realized along the way though is that homeschooling (at least at the PREK level) is not so much about the curriculum as it is the lessons along the way in life. We read a lot of books and we practice our letters in the notebooks. We color constantly as well as practice with scissors (or more accurate the kids steal scissors out of my drawer and cause havoc all over the house) and once in a while we might even dare a glue stick. Oh the horrors!
With all the curriculum, I've found that the real lessons come during the usual customs of our day...math during a trip to the grocery (and don't get me wrong, it's not often that I'm CRAZY enough to take 3 kids ages 4 and under to ANY store so don't nominate me for sainthood yet), vocabulary when I'm chastizing Boy Wondertwin (BWT) for being "obsessed" with The Incredible Hulk. He now uses the word constantly as if it's normal for a 4 year old boy. Recently we've been working on addition, subtraction and spelling. If I'm lucky enough to have only one kid in my lap at a time (which is rare, mind you) I have developed a little pattern that somewhat resembles shock therapy. (Please read the rest before you call CPS, thanks.)
Just now I had BWT in my lap...well, he takes up much of the chair and only a small part of him fits on my lap anymore...but as he sat on my lap, I started quizing him on math and spelling. Each time he got something wrong I shocked him with electricity...NO! I tickled him until he corrected himself. He had a blast! We practiced CAT, DOG, MOM, DAD...not brain surgury but we're making progress. What a fun way to get my almost 5 year old to cuddle with me for a minute and get him ready for the Ivy League. Yea, we'll see. Right now I'm just aiming for a non-finger sucking, non-nose picking kindergartener. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment