Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Boys and Friends

Life is full of ironies and dichotomies, isn't it?  There are so many things about the world that really just don't make sense.  Here is one that has been bugging me for a while now.
Have you noticed that men give very little effort to their friendships?  (Big generalization I know, but mostly true across the board).  It's not a concern to them if they've called their friend a sufficient number of times or if they have hosted their friend's son to return the favor. 
If they see each other, they see each other.  If they have room for a 4th for their round of golf then great.  If not, no biggie.  What has peeved me lately is that since I've been living in my home town, I've noticed that many guys from high school are still in their "cliques" they were in way back then.  They've brought a few in or some have moved away but overall there friends are their friends.  Once group I'm aware of has even brought their wives into their clique and they say it's the wives who have kept them close.  Apparently the women are even closer friends than the men.  Good for them.  What they have is great.  Instant plans every weekend but to get into this group, you would need to marry in.
Women are different.  I know that women are capable of keeping close friendships over long periods of time.  Just look at the Sex and the City gals.  They are still going....and going.  Surely this is the last movie, right?
I don't know what I'm trying to say here other than men have it easy.  They can have a basketball in common, talk once every 3 months and pick up where they left off. 
If women tried that it would be the end of the relationship, never to be forgiven. 
Maybe women have something to learn from men.

No comments:

Post a Comment