Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bite Your Tongue

As unique and individual as people are, they can really be grouped into types. I feel like I'm okay with people. For the most part I can talk to just about anybody and hold my own in most situations. There is a certain personality type with whom I struggle. It's the type with whom it's wise to just nod, smile, agree and move on with your day. You know the type I mean.

Yea, I'm not good at that smiling, nodding and agreeing thing. Take today for example. I have a weekly interaction with a woman who likes to uh...let's just say take me under her wing. She suggests certain activities for me, gives me unheeded advice and thinks she's way beyond me in the ways of this world.

Most peace loving people would let it slide. Yep, I don't know how. Today for example, she told me that I needed to check out this particular seminar. Dumb me. I told her that I already had experience with that particular topic and was not interested. Why couldn't I just smile, nod and thank her for her advice? Because I don't know how.

Anyway, she didn't take it well and continued to lecture me on how I needed to be better informed concerning this topic. What's wrong with me? Why do I have to make waves? I can't just keep the peace?

How is it possible to keep the peace and not be fake? IS it possible? I hate fake.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's admirable that you are upfront about it. I know you're not rude, and that's a hard balance to strike. I wish I was better at being upfront with people. I don't try to hide my true feelings, but I get really uncomfortable with conflict and try to just nod and smile to avoid it.

    If your kids are able to pick up on how to politely and directly disagree with someone, you will have done them a giant favor. Don't stifle that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen. That's encouraging.

    ReplyDelete