Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

No More Babies Here!


I've been putting it off for a long time now. My 3rd (Little Dude) turned 3 in April and I knew it was time (past time) to move him to a "big boy" bed. 2 problems. 1. It was hades when I moved my 22 month old twins to big beds. 2. A new bed for Little Dude is not in the budget right now.

10 days ago Little Dude stopped asking to have the door of his crib let down so he could get out. He was jumping from the top of his crib to a pillow on the floor. It was either pay for his cast and a hospital visit or figure out a way to budget a new bed for Little Dude.

Well, today being Mother's Day, I've finally taken the leap. We took the crib down and it's in the garage now, waiting to be sold (hopefully!!) Little Dude is taking his first nap on his crib mattress, on the floor. This will do for a little while until I find a good deal on a bed for him OR maybe I can convince the in-laws to splurge on a new bed while they are in town. We'll see.

I guess I should feel guilty that all our money has gone into house renovations leaving little left over for furniture. In the long run though, the renovations will pay off when we sell the home. He will only outgrow the furniture we buy, or so I tell myself.

The hardest part though is that my baby is no longer in a crib. It's like a rite of passage or something and it's hardest with the last one somehow. I'm celebrating when my twins graduate to something new but when Little Dude moves up in the world, there is something sad and bitter about it, like I'm aging somehow every time he accomplishes something new. Don't get me wrong! I want him to grow into a strong, independent man who can provide for himself and a family someday but I'm just trying to slow down the clock just a little. It's not working yet...I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Here's to the inlaws helping out. I kept holding off until great grandma said she had some extra furniture, did I need anything. When I asked about a twin bed she said she didn't but told me to pick out a matresss set and she'd cover it. When I told her the cost she thought it was too low and paid for the bed too! She's sooo sweet.

    ReplyDelete