Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Baptism or Waterboarding

Last night my husband and I got to celebrate our 11 year anniversary...just 13 days late. Pretty good, considering. We went to dinner at On the Border (we love the Fajitas) and then we went to Columbus Fish Market for dessert. You may have one of these in your town. If so, check it out. I love that place. Their fish is amazing but their desserts are out of this world. My favorite is the Chocolate Java Lava Cup. It's chocolate cake oozing with hot fudge and ice cream. Heaven I tell you.

We actually had about 2 hours of uninterrupted conversation last night which might have been even better than the dessert. J is a funny guy and to be honest, after 11 years, I still don't know what is going to come out of his mouth. Take last night for instance. I'm pretty sure this came out of the clear blue sky but he said something like this, "So, what if Christian churches used water boarding as baptism instead of the traditional sprinkle or dunking. How many would actually follow through with Christ's commands?"

Like I said, I never know what might come out of his mouth on any given day. I've always been taught that the action of baptism is an outward symbol of our relationship with God. That He has cleansed us by the power of the Holy Spirit. It's a means of identifying ourselves with God and what He has done for us. While J's question was mostly humorous, it's premise stands. What if the profession of our faith cost us something? Would it strengthen us or cause us to cower?

Deep thoughts on my Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment