Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Dilemma

So, I'm dealing with a situation here and I guess it's what you might call a moral dilemma. My uncle died 2 days ago of a massive aneurysm in his brain. He is my dad's sister's husband. I saw him once a month growing up but only here and there since then. I'm very close to his wife (my aunt) and she's really good to my kids, almost like a grandma.

He died in Florida but the Memorial Mass is in Cincinnati, 2 hours from my home ( 4 plus hours of travel and at least 3 hours spent in Cincy.) My dilemma is whether or not to attend the funeral. My aunts and uncles will be there but only one of my cousins (there are 10 of us.) My in laws are in town which allows for babysitting but since they only visit twice a year, I feel bad leaving them.

Also the funeral is on Memorial Day and we had plans for that day which of course can be cancelled (or carried out without my presence.)

What do you think? Should I attend the funeral?

3 comments:

  1. If your being there would help your aunt, then I would go.

    Sorry. Probably not the answer you were looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you have childcare arranged, and it is in state, yes you should go. Funerals are for the living and since you are close to your aunt she would so love you being there for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about your uncle. What did you end up doing?

    ReplyDelete