Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Trip Versus a Vacation

My FaceBook status yesterday read, "I need a Vacation".  The myriad of replies ran the gamit of funny to helpful.  One person offered to plan my vaction.  Very nice of her.  I of course replied, "Do you plan to pay for it too?"

One response (from a person whom I love dearly) said, "Wasn't Texas enough for you?", referring to my recent "vacation" at my in laws house over the holidays.

Yes, in not so uncertain terms, Texas was enough for me.  Don't get me wrong.  It was wonderful to get away from the snowstorms and daily grind.  We are truly blessed to be able to spend 2 weeks a year in Texas with my husband's family.  For that I'm thankful.

But it's not a vacation.  To me, a vacation is a beach, warm weather, a chance to sleep in and do what I want to do.  That's vacation.  To my husband, a vacation is a trip to some exotic city he's never been to before...preferably in Europe where there's thousands of years of history to explore.  You see the conflict.  I do love a European vacation once in a while...like every 10 years or more if I can help it.  We went to Spain in 1999 and Ireland in 2006.  That was enough for a while.

What I am dreaming of (and not going to get but you can help me dream) is a trip to the carribbean where I can chill on the beach, drink a pina colada and read to my heart's content.  That's a vacation for me.

Far cry from 20 hours in the car with 3 kids, 17 days of pure chaos (10 people in one house remember) and then 19 hours and 10 minutes (straight through!!) home in time to go back to school the next day. 

Not a vacation.

3 comments:

  1. We just moved in with my SIL & BIL since my husband got laid off...I now live with 9 people in a house every day...I need a vacation...but it isn't going to happen...maybe if I'm lucky I'll make it to the store by myself in the next month...that would be amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Erin. 2 weeks almost killed me. Every day would not be easy. Praying for a job for your husand...and a trip to the store ALONE for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, KP, I gave you a blog award...

    ReplyDelete