Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

What 15 Years Brings

Okay, first of all a wake up call.  It's been 15 years since 1995.  Goodness.  Doesn't it feel like 5 years ago?  I referenced something happening in 1997 and an adult (at least I thought she was!!) said, Oh, I was 10 years old in 1997.  Yep.  That's what I wanted to hear.

Anyway, I found this article about the internet and how this columnist predicted that the internet would fail.  FAIL.  Hmm...how wrong he was but as I read it, I can see where he was going with it.  Without the inventions of search engines, Facebook, Paypal...I get it.

I remember my GRANDFATHER going online in 1990.  It would make that loud "BEEP BEEP BEEP" sound as it went over the phone lines and my grandmother would complain how she was missing all of her phone calls and couldn't talk to any of her friends anymore.  Ha!  Anyway, I have no idea where he was going once he got online or who he talked to but he was definitely one of the "old guys" that this article references.  Check it out.  Fun walk down memory lane.  It goes well with the book "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedmann that I've been reading lately.

http://thenextweb.com/shareables/2010/02/27/newsweek-1995-buy-books-newspapers-straight-intenet-uh/

No comments:

Post a Comment