Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Praying For Chile

My husband woke me this morning with news of the 8.8 magnitude earthquake that hit the town where I spent the Summer/Winter of 1995.  It's called Concepcion and it's population is just over 200,000.
There is a large university in the center and it sits 8 hours South of Santiago (Chile's capital) by bus.

I still have quite a few friends who live in Conce so they news came as quite a shock.  One of those Chilean friends is Fabiola.  She lives in my town now but we met 15 years ago during my visit to Conce.  Her whole family is still in Central Chile and she's having a really tough time getting a hold of them.  For one, she is traveling in China this month for business.  So, here she is, an American resident and Chilean national who is trying to contact her homeland from China.  Thankfully she is one of the few who has been able to make contact with her family.  Her sister was able to get through via email and their extended family is okay, thank the Lord. 

I'm still waiting to hear from many more friends.  I can't even begin to put myself in their shoes.  Not to worry any of my local readers but there is quite a large fault line that runs right through our state.  In fact, there was a small tremble in the Northwest part of the state earlier this week. Lovely.

Send up a prayer for the folks in Chile and Haiti too.  I need to be so thankful for today and what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment