Monday, August 2, 2010

One of THOSE Days!

It was 11am and I was pretty sure the day couldn't get any worse.  After sleeping 9 hours (well...2 bathroom trips of course...rare to sleep 9 STRAIGHT hours after 3 babies...but I digress.)

I got up early, ran to the gym, hit the treadmill for 20 minutes and then took the fastest shower ever, only to be late for my 9am doctor's appointment.  Bitter.  I even got a LECTURE from my family practitioner.  I thought those lectures were reserved for the dentist office.

After the tech left mega bruises all over my arm (drawing blood) I flew home to pick up the kids in order to get to the airport.  My in laws are in town.  For 10 days.

In a rush I pulled (attempted to pull) into the garage forgetting the car top carrier on my van. Crunch!  Thankfully the garage and the car are okay.  The carrier is no more.  Did I mention we borrowed it from someone else?  Yep.  Crap.

I enter the house to find my mom explaining to the kids that they needed to say goodbye to her dog (they think he is THEIR dog) because she was heading to the vet to put him to sleep.  Yep. Crap.

He was 15 years old.  For a 65 pound dog that's a long time.  And it was time.  Have you ever smelled death?  That's what this dog smelled like.  For months.  He smelled like death and before our eyes he was deteriorating...rotting like a dead, moving corpse.  Gross.

Just now I was in Little Dude's room and he said, "We never gonna see Winston again?"
No, Little Dude.  He's gone.
He's dead right now?  Never again we see him?
No Little Dude.
And then the onslaught of tears.  I have a feeling that this will be an on and off thing for the next few days and weeks.  Anybody out there have advice when it comes to death of pets and little people?  Not easy days around here.


  1. Oh, I'm so sorry. Do you read "Are We There Yet?" They just had to put their dog down last week, and her kids are about the ages of yours.

  2. Thanks Jen. so so sad. (from KP...not sure why it's coming up w/ the wrong screen name)